The modern farmhouse kitchen is currently one of the hottest trends in home design.
But what makes the look authentic?
Any blend of retro and modern architectural details, appliances, and fixtures can create the look, but there are several key elements that will make it truly magazine-worthy.
- Light and Bright– White or off-white walls, cabinets, and ceilings give the room an airy, open feel, and contribute to the modern look. If the starkness of all-white turns you off, consider painting upper or lower cabinets in a farmhouse hue such as butter yellow or blue willow.
- Bead Board– One of the most recognizable traits of this style, beadboard can be incorporated into cabinet doors, as backing to shelves, or used as the backsplash.
- Farmhouse Sink– Considered by many to be the single most iconic feature of a farmhouse kitchen, apron-front sinks are available in several materials at a variety of price-points.
- Natural Wood Countertops and/or Floors– Incorporating natural wood brings warmth and an old-time coziness to the space. If you’re concerned about the long-term wearability of wood floors in such a high-traffic space, you might consider a wood-look tile. These tiles are remarkably realistic and available in many finishes to suit any taste.
- Stainless Steel Appliances– The trademark of modern kitchens, stainless steel appliances are sleek and provide a nice contrast to white or off-white walls and cabinets.
With these elements in place, extras such as retro pendant lights, aged bronze or brass hardware, a vintage kitchen scale, wire storage baskets, wooden utensils, and a farmhouse pitcher filled with fresh flowers can be added to complete the look and feel. Just crack open your favorite cookbook and enjoy your new space!
To find out how we can help make your dream kitchen a reality, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us.